gastown drive in 2008
The Gastown Drive-in
paid homage to Vancouver with a contemporary spin on a nostalgic experience. For three evenings in September 2008, the roof level of the EasyPark parkade in Gastown was transformed into a drive-in for both car-equipped and pedestrian audiences in a celebration of BC films.
The inaugural "Vancouver Stars As Itself" film series screened selected shorts and feature films shot in part or wholly within the Metro Vancouver area. The provocative venue for the film series drew in new and broader audiences for BC film, and sparked us to re-imagine the city's functional infrastructure as a social and cultural resource.
To wrap up the evening, audience members were invited to meet the filmmakers at an informal gathering in Gastown. At the end of the series, Cineworks hosted "Thought on Film" discussion examining how Vancouver is represented on film.
- Hard Core Logo, directed by Bruce MacDonald
- Fetching Cody, directed and written by David Ray
- Eve and the Fire Horse, directed and written by Julia Kwan
- Alice & Martha, by Roy and McHardy
- Two Impossible Films, by Mark Lewis
- The Reincarnation of W, by Yun Lam Li